Thursday, June 28, 2012

Seeing Stars!!

D.I.Y. Star Spangled Jeans!!!


Yesterday I was browsing through my stack of unread Us Weekly's and I came across this little section in the back that featured Current/Elliot's "The Star Stiletto Jeans". As soon as I saw these, I fell in love!! They are so so super cute and just in time for the 4th of July!!!  HOWEVER, these jeans are a little more on the pricey side at $218 bucks a pair!!! Ahh!! I know I don't have that kind of money to spend on jeans, So..... I am doing the next best thing and making them myself.....Oh, and I really think you should too!!!

Before you begin; Set a GOOD amount of time aside, and find a pair of jeans that you'd be willing to alter!!! Hint: I got mine at the thrift store!! 


Materials you'll need

Acrylic Paint Color of your choice. (I went for the Light Pink)
A pair of Jeans to your liking!!!(Can be red, white, blue, green, etc. Have fun with it!!!)
Paint Brush
Cardboard
Scissors
3 x 3 inch Piece of thick Card stock
Tape
X-acto Knife
Star Template( http://tooldage.blogspot.com/p/templates.html )
Cup of Water (to rinse brush)
Old Rag (to wipe brush clean)




Step 1: 
Take the template you've printed and cut out your star with your X-acto Knife.


Step 2:
Trace your star onto your
Card stock and cut it out again.


Step 3: 
Reinforce your new template with tape. 
(I covered the whole thing with tape then cut it out, yet again, with my X-acto.) Set that aside and prep your jeans. 




Step 4:
Trace your jeans on your card board then cut that out about 1/4 inch inside of your lines. 


Step 5: 
Put your cardboard pieces in your jeans. (These make a nice flat surface to work with)  


Step 6: 
Tape your template down to the area you want to start at. 
(I started at the top, and worked my way down the leg, in a straight line)




Step 7: 
Once you are satisfied with your placement, you can start painting on your first star!!!


(I advise using painting strokes that go inward, from the points, to the middle of your star. This avoids paint from being pushed under your stars and messing you up!! :) Also, hold down your star in the areas you are painting (ex. point or edge, if you don't it will turn out a sloppy disaster!!!)




Step 8: 
Keep painting on your stars as you did the first, until you have 2 stripes of stars going down your pant legs. 


(Change your anchor tape every couple stars, so your template stays flat on your jeans. Also, dab the backside of your template every so often with a tissue, paint does get through sometimes, and this will help keep your star looking crisp!!!)


Step 9:
Let your stars dry!! 
And when they are, turn them over, and do the same to the backside!!!


(Line your backside stars up with your front stars!!!! VERY IMPORTANT for the sides to work out right!!!)


Step 10: 
Let dry again!!! 
(You can speed up drying time by using a hair dryer on cool!!!)




Step 11: 
Re-position your cardboard so that the side lines of your jeans are now laying flat.


Step 12: 
Start painting on your stars the same way you've been doing it, only this time, paint them in the middle of every 4 stars!!!
(You can see what I mean, from the picture above) 


Step 13: 
Dry, repeat on alternate side. 
Then do the same to the inside jean legs. 
Letting each side dry completely before the next!!! Then....


BAM!!! Star Spangled Jeans!!!!! 



(What do you think? Did I pull it off? I sure think so!!!!)

 

Now go, do as I did above!!! And you'll be rocking your very own Star Spangled Jeans in no time!!! 


Seeing Stars!!!

<3 Marcelina


P.s. I know the jeans in the article are bleached stars, but I tried to do bleach and that didn't work out so well!!! Paint did though!!!(At first your stars will look really bold , but over time they will break in and give a more worn in look!!!) So, if you want white stars like the original jeans in the article, I recommend just using white paint instead. It'll be so much faster and more guaranteed to come out right!!!:) 








Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment